5.23.2011

Swim Lessons Day 1

I've signed Evie up for swim lessons at our gym.  The classes are every morning for 2 weeks. Since we have a pool in our backyard it is incredibly important to me that the kids have a good sense of the water and a familiarity with it.  Last year Evie did not do very well with her lessons! We had a great instructor, but he was a he. Evie doesn't do well with men teachers, they make her super nervous. And they were in our pool.... Which is frigid. And she was 2... so she was either gonna love them or hate them! Too many obstacles that were not easily overcome!

Today was our first day for this year's lessons and *I* was nervous.... we had a rough night of sleep last night with Chet and the lessons fall right at his nap time... for the lessons he is going to the kids club, for the first time without his sister... I had no idea how this was going to go! But, Chet did great in the gym daycare! He didn't cry a tear and seemed to really have a great time!

My other nerves centered around Evie...2 weeks is a long time if your preschooler is enrolled in something they hate! It started out a bit rough... A guy teacher for the other class was there first and she was swimming and waiting for her teacher and the guy said "come on kids" and she thought he meant her, and she started bawling and clinging to me, and then her (female) teacher came out and said, "Come on Evie!" She wouldn't let go of me and was still crying! The teacher was a pro though and grabbed her up and took her in... Evie cried on and off the whole lesson, but she did the lesson, and really, I knew she was fine, she just started crying and couldn't end it.  She wasn't scared.  So I was happy with it overall!

AND- her teacher is great!  The pool is awesome, it gradually get deeper (like a beach entry) so the kids can "swim" all around it and it only goes to 4 feet.  She really did a great lesson, I can't wait to see where she is at the end of these 2 weeks!  I might sign her up for the next 2 if I can get the same teacher.

I think she will do considerably better tomorrow now that she knows what to expect. Also, mommy promised pool time with her if she didn't cry tomorrow, and she's excited to swim with mom, so I'm guessing tomorrow will have a no tears report!

AND-- Swim lessons ROCK for mom!  With Chet being in the day care I could just lay in the lawn chair and tan while Evie did her lesson!  I think I'm going to like this :)




2 comments:

Jackie said...

Can't wait to hear how so does tomorrow!

LIZRICE said...

was her Instructor named Krissie?