I had tested earlier that week, on a Tuesday, when Josh was there and gotten a negative. I wasn't due to get my period until that coming Friday. Very very early on Saturday morning I woke up with the WORST cramps. I woke up to go potty and in my groggy state, I grabbed a preg test I had under the counter and peed on it. It turned positive. I was so in disbelief that I literally threw it away and went back to bed. Josh was in Oakland for his job and I just could not deal with it alone and tired.
So about 10 AM that morning, I woke up and thought-- "Did I take a pregnancy test?" I ran to the bathroom and looked in the trash, it was still positive. So I took a deep breath, my heart was racing, and took another test. I was still so crampy, I was NEVER so sure that I was going to start my period! I pee'd on the stick and again, POSITIVE.

I started to cry, I was so happy and scared and everything all at the same time. I just wrapped my arms around myself and thought, "I'm going to be a MOM!" Josh was still in Oakland and wasn't coming back until Sunday morning, early. So I had to keep it all to myself!! I didn't want to tell him over the phone and I didn't want to tell anyone before I had a chance to tell him so I had to keep it in. It was soooo hard.
I went to Walmart and bought: -blue and pink baby booties -a card for Josh - wrapping paper and -what to expect. I wrapped the baby booties in the box and wrote out a long nice card to Josh. That night I had dinner plans with Robyn for her birthday. I still cannot believe I didn't tell her! I felt like I was wearing a flashing neon sign on my head that read, P-R-E-G-N-A-N-T!

On the way to dinner I cried and cried thinking about my own mother and the relationship we have and that I was going to have that with my own child.The next morning Josh got home at about 5 AM after working all night. I woke right up and turned on the lights and was talking his EAR off. He knew right away something was "up". I told him, "sit on the bed- I have something to give you." Then I gave him the present and the card. In the card it said that I was pregnant. He was SO honest to goodness, shocked. He thought since I'd had a "negative" that there wasn't a possibility.
Then I told him, "SMILE! I'm going to take your picture for the baby book." It took everything in him to smile. Well since he had worked all night, and wasn't saying anything, I figured he wanted to go to bed. So I turned off the light and got in bed. 1 minute later he was like, "How am I supposed to sleep?! This is crazy! Where is this baby going to go to kindegarten?!"
He adjusted very quickly, though, and got excited once the shock wore off!
Our lives have changed so much in this past year!! I wouldn't take back a second of it!
6 comments:
LOVE it...great story Brooke!
Thanks for sharing the beauty of YOUR day.
35 hours and counting...
did you know you were going to name the baby an E name? Is that what that E is for? I'm confubobulated
We had originally wanted to name our baby, if it was a boy, Ethan. It was the only name we had ever discussed. So I had bought the "e" before we ever thought of Evie ;)
Well, I guess now we know what you're going to name your next one (if it's a boy). :-)
Actually--- now we wouldn't use that name!! LOL
Brooke, you remind me of myself when Megan was a baby. I used to do "photo shoots" I would dress her up, take her picture and then change her clothes and take her picture again. I had way too much time on my hands. but then again, her first year of life is one of my favorite years of my life. I loved just focusing on her and being with her all the time. I'm so glad you are enjoying motherhood. Evie is a total doll! Reading your blog and looking at the pictures makes me want another baby. I wish My hubby would let me, but that ship has apparently sailed. thanks for including me in the email.
TTFN
Jolene
(I worked with Brooke at FCCA for those of you who don't know who I am).
Post a Comment