8.10.2008

known love

Last night we went to a wedding....
and they happy couple was having their first dance, and man, they were so in love. Just gazing into one another's eyes, laughing, looking beautiful with her white gown and curled hair and his suit, their youth...

and then from the corner of my eye, I saw the groom's grandpa stand up and slowly assist his grandma up, and they started making their way across the reception area. He had to assist her with every step, as it appeared she had a stroke and had some paralysis and difficulty with one side of her body.

And that is what made me cry. Not the youth, not the newness. I don't long for that, I had that... I know that... It was the tenderness and the 'knowing' that comes with old love. The world might tell me I need the passion and the zing and the newness, but last night I saw the truth... I saw true love taken to its depths... and what I desire is the old, burning, flame of known love.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is astoundingly deep and beautiful, and something I so deeply desire too. My own love is new in so many ways but I know without a doubt that I will get there some day. Growing old does not scare me. The possibility of living many years and without such a love is more frightening, actually. I only hope that this insight that you've gained from your marriage and motherhood can somehow grace my life as well. :)

Anonymous said...

Your so wise to be aware so young, it's the small everyday service to our loved one's. thanks for the reminder. LOL O'ma

the sniders said...

that's so beautiful, and so true.
thanks for the insight to us young ones. :D

Anonymous said...

mmmm.... great thoughts, honey.
mom

Anonymous said...

This brought tears to my eyes when I read it. I knew exactly what you meant 'cause I've been there! "Old Love" is something special, I believe. Thanks again for the pictures.
Grandma Dean