4.16.2010

Evie's 2 1/2 Entry

Evie turned 2.5 on March 17.  It's a busy busy month and I've been trying to find the time/energy/focus to finish her entry and just finally did!

I still need to take her out for her "2 1/2 portraits" - I'm waiting for her allergies to give her a break!  But those will follow as soon as I hope to schedule a time to take her out and capture her :)





Evie 30 months
Size: 4T
Weight: 39 lbs

My sweet girl, 2 ½ !  You grow before my very eyes and I still cannot believe it!

You are an absolute joy to know.  We love you so very very much, and I know that I write the same adorations to you in every entry, but sweetie pie, we do.  Sometimes Dad and I lay in bed at night and just gush about how much we love you kids- it’s true.  You and your brother light up our lives- we are so very blessed to have you.  You are our treasures, and we hope and pray that you know that and feel that every single day of your life.

2 ½ is a great age!  Everyone talked about the ‘terrible twos’ but I haven’t really experienced them.  I think 2 is my favorite age so far!  I love that you and I can talk about life, that I can finally know what you are thinking/feeling/wondering… and TALK you do!  You are quite talkative and inquisitive; you love to play with me and talk and talk and talk- oh and boss!  You are becoming quite the “big sister” and know how you’d like to have things done and want us to do things just the way you’d like them. 

For your “punishments” we use a little rug in your room as your “naughty spot” and you have to sit there for 2 minutes and then you have the option to tell us you are “sorry” and give hugs/kisses or you can continue sitting there.  You have thrown some doozies of fits over that spot and whether or not you were going to tell us you were sorry!! One night I think you sat there for 20 minutes before you decided to shape up and tell Daddy you were sorry!! But—you are learning.  And for the most part, you really do want to behave and please us and do as you are told.   Some days it’s like you wake up with a bee in your bonnet and I really have to be on top of things because you *want* to defy us.  But most days you are as sweet as sugar! And no matter what, you are always a blessing to be around!

You have really come out of your shell in the past few months.  You are no longer as shy as you used to be.  You don’t immediately talk to people, but you warm up much faster (like within minutes) and then you are their best friend!  It is especially noticeable with our extended family, you really have warmed up to Robb, Nathan and Matt whereas you used to not look them in the eye or say a word to them!

You helped mommy take Chet-Chet to the doctor this past week and you were amazing.  You did everything I asked, sat in the chair in the waiting room patiently, and helped mommy SO much!  I wouldn’t let you guys touch any of the doctor’s toys because I was worried they had germies all over them, and you were so compliant!  That’s pretty impressive for an inquisitive 2 year old.  I call you my “helper girl” you are always willing to do your part and then some.  You love to help and are always looking for ways to participate.  I enlist your help a lot when I am occupied with your brother and you are always so good.  You get me tissues or the remote, you get baby a toy while I change his diaper… such a helper!

You like to help everyone and be everyone’s buddy!  It’s a good thing that we live with one set of your grandparents and are constantly visiting the other set- you are showered and adored with love and attention!  You have such a large vocabulary and I think it is because you have so many adults in your life investing in you and talking with you.  You and Papa make French toast every Saturday morning together.  You help him crack the egg and whisk it and you ask everyone in the home “you want some?” and like to cook for all of us.  You help Grammy make dinner on the nights that she cooks and you like to help mommy make cookies.  At O’ma’s house you help with dinner preparations and O’pa lets your tinker around the garage and “help” him.  JoJo and you are quite the pair, and she lets you wear some of her lipstick—and put it on all by yourself!  You are quite proud of that and come out with lipstick over your chin and cheek and it is quite the sight! J

You are very inquisitive and notice details.  You take in everything, so I have to be very careful about what you see and what you hear.  I hardly watch TV anymore while you are awake because there is just too much risk!  The other day you told me something was “stupid” and Daddy and I looked at one another like “whaaaaat???” We quickly redirected you but we noticed ourselves saying “stupid” and now are trying so hard not to anymore!  You love to get my attention by yelling “crap!” because you know mommy says it and she shouldn’t.  You have been telling me a lot, “I don’t say Butt?” and I respond, “no, we don’t say that, it’s naughty.” And you respond, “I say cat bat?” and I say, “yes, that’s a nice word”.  I don’t know WHY you say “cat bat” as a nice word?  And we have this exact conversation at least once a day.  You ask me about so much, the other day we were driving and you started asking me all about the windshield wipers- what they were, what they did, and on and on…

You have a very good memory and you have been a blessing to teach.  I’m really excited about your thirst for knowledge and we have a great time doing our “school” together.  You know all the letters in the alphabet and their corresponding phonetic sounds—thanks to the Letter Factory DVD!  You are a sponge- I don’t mind so much when you watch Sesame Street for an hour because you come at me with facts that amaze me!  You learn a lot at Bible Study and have been soaking in the stories.  You told me today that you wouldn’t yell at brother because you had “Jesus in your heart”.  (Later you told me it was Jonah in your heart, but that’s besides the point!).  We listen to Christian kid’s music and you love love love “This little light” and yelling “NO!”.  You love the Veggie Tale’s Jonah movie and we’ve watched it for about a week straight—you like to tell me, “Jonah told God NO!” in horror.  This morning I was doing your hair and you told me, “the bible is god’s word, it is true, every page is for me and for you”.   I’m assuming that you learned that at Bible study, but I was blown away!  I love that you have such a thirst for knowledge and love seeing you grasp the very concepts that I have been desiring for you to be a part of life and heart.

You’ve become a little more of a spitfire when you are with other kids.  You used to get stomped all over and I worried about you… now I worry about you in another way J  You know what you’d like and what you’d like other kids to do and what you would and wouldn’t like them to play with… You are still pretty tame in a group setting (like Sunday School) and you are still pretty good about sharing.  Because you were disciplined for yelling at your cousin when she was at your house, you remember and you often tell me that you “won’t yell” when you have a friend coming over.  It makes me laugh (inside, not showing you!) because you are actually a very good hostess and good to your friends when they come over!

You love being funny and love getting a laugh- and once you do, you will do the same thing over and over hoping for the same reaction!  Every time we have the family over and you have to get into your pajamas you insist on running into the living room and doing your “nudey dance” for everyone!  It is so funny to see you, who used to be so shy, want to run around the house like a nudist! 

You recently have started asking me all about when you were a baby, and asking me to tell you the stories.  I tell you about how you were born in the hospital and how we put you in your carseat and we drove Daddy’s car (the white Honda civic) because that is the car that we had, and you love to ask me the next night “we drive daddy’s car?”  “I walk?” and I say, “no I carried you” and I think you are reassured to hear that you were cared for in the same way that Chet-Chet is being cared for now.  I think a lot of your interest about being a baby has come from noticing the differences in yours and Chet’s ages and care.  You ask me to carry you quite a bit lately, but then, in the opposite swing of things, will let me do NOTHING for you.  Not a thing!  So it just depends on your mood whether or not you want to be served or exercise your complete independence from me!

One of the best things is how easy bedtimes are with you (finally!!).  You have a very solid bedtime routine- movie (with a milk and a Dora snack as a reward for going pee pee and poo on the potty all day), then brush your teeth, go into your room, light off, in crib, prayers/story about when you were a baby, fan on, lady bug on and color selected, and done.  Amazing!  J  Mommy and Daddy are so relieved that it is so easy!

You are potty trained and accidents are far and few between.  We go weeks without one.  You still wear a diaper at night time and at nap time, but most naps you wake up dry.  I’m not sure when we will work at nighttime training you, you don’t seem to have any idea when you go at night, so I’m not sure you are physiologically ready for that part of the training yet.  You are finally at a point where you tell me you have to go potty and I don’t constantly have to ask and take you (although, I still will take you if it has been a while).

Last, but certainly not least, you are a GREAT big sister!   Your brother adores and admires you, for great reason!  He watches your every move and loves it when you show him attention.  For the most part, you guys interact independent of one another- there isn’t a great deal of “playing” with one another.  Mostly because he doesn’t get what you are trying to make him do and ends up knocking over and eating your picnic or play structure!  But you are super considerate of him and love to help mommy care for him.  In the car, when he cries and cries (as he does…) you tell him “it’s okay baby, mommy loves you, we almost home…” in a very sympathetic and kind voice.  (and sometimes you yell “knock it off!”, it depends on your mood.  But you almost always are redirected into being kind to him J ).

We love you wholeheartedly and completely.  We treasure each and every moment with you and are SO very glad that God placed YOU into our family!  Being your mommy and daddy was our destiny!

Love you always and forever, Mommy & Daddy

1 comment:

Paige said...

Love this! So true of her. Love every word!!! And those pics of the kids and josh.. so cute!