So many have made their New Year's Resolutions and posted about them and I've been reading... wondering... what do I want for this New Year?
And I guess, what I want, is really more than a simple year long commitment is a lifestyle commitment.... and what comes to mind is what I want for my kid's during these formatative years. And, mainly, who I want to be in their lives.
I want to be the mommy that took walks, and went slowly so that they could spot the kitties on the roof and the apples growing on the tree. I want to be the mom who climbed back in bed with her daughter despite time constraints or to-do lists, because she asked to snuggle and I know that one day she won't ask. I want to be the mom who took the time to make Jesus real-- and the mom who continually reminds my children that the beautiful creation around them is because of a God who loves them. I want to be the mommy who read 500 books in a row, and then read another one, just because it brought her kid joy. I want to be the mommy who did the chores and kept the home, but not at her children's expense- who managed my time wisely so that they could be alongside me and learn and laugh while we finished our work. I want to be the mom who sat with her kids at mealtimes highfived for finishing the veggies and made them laugh while they finished their meal. I want to be the mom who shrieked with laughter as her daughter ran across her bed and put on a show in front of the mirror, and I want to be the mom who sees the results of in her kids of being a smiling, supportive mommy. I want to be the mom who let my kids lick the batter, who laughed until I cried over an inside silly joke we have together.... I want to be the mommy who rolled down the hill at the park and got grass stains on our good clothes- and who giggled about it and did it again. I want to be the mom who when I run out of patience, I ask God for some more, so that my children remember me as a softspoken disciplinarian and a good example. I want to be the mom who loved so much that the early memories of her children are full of a blur of happiness.
I want to slow down and soak it in, like a warm summer day. Because like those summer days, soon, they will be just a memory. And I want these memories, for both my kids and for me, to be warm.
6 comments:
You know what Brooke? I see all of these things in your spirit already. You put it so eloquently that it brought tears to my eyes...and as I was reading it occurred to me that this sounded more like a prayer than a statement. Amen.
Before beginning to write, I read the Sisemore Family comment, and it says it all. Your resolution is just a hope or a dream that won't exist by February 1. You have lived it since September 17, 2007, and each day you want to do it better. Those of us looking in at your little family throug your blog, know you already live your resolution. Congratulations mom -- we are so proud of you. Jackie
I guess I should read my comments before I post, that way I can correct my typos -- sorry! Jackie
What a great resolution! You're a wonderful mom and you will be all of those things and more I'm sure of it!!! Congrats on baby Chet! Its going to be exciting to see your family as 4 instead of 3!
Very well put. You may not be able to do all of those things all of the time, but your kids will remember the times that you do. :-)
Lovely, sweetie! You are that mommy! :-)
Post a Comment