2.11.2009

Brooke and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day



Have you heard of the children's book "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day"? Well, I'm having my own version of it today.

Started actually, last night. My child slept like a crazy child, waking up absolutely terrified screaming, inconsolable, didn't want to lie down in her bed, didn't want to let go of me, so ended up sleeping with us. Well, co-sleeping is great- when your baby is immobile or your husband is gone. Co-sleeping with three people, one of them who is pregnant and one of them who is a large man, and another one who is a toddler who prefers to sleep with her feet up against something and pushing in as hard as she can, is a bit of a nightmare. Josh and I barely slept, we had went to bed at 1 am and had to be up around 8 am, which isn't that bad- but when you really haven't slept all night, it's terrible.

I got up, went to discipleship (not horrible, by the way!) and on my way home, I started to get hungry. By the time I get home, I'm starving- and I don't say this lightly. I'm shaky, light-headed, extremely fatigued and weak. I decide it has to be nap time, because I seriously feel like crap, I can hardly even pick up Evie. I finally change her on the bed, put her in her crib, go and grab a granola bar, and lie down in bed and eat it. When I woke up an hour later I was super hungry so I went and ate lunch. Evie woke, I got her lunch, but I was still feeling weak and a little, jittery/shaky. I sat down on the couch and had this blood rush to my head-- my face got warm and my vision blurred. I thought I was going to pass out and Josh would find me in a heap! When I finally felt well enough to stand, I asked Josh to come in from working the in the garage and change Evie, I didn't think I could lift her safely to change her diaper and I wasn't going to find out the hard way!

So, Josh takes over and I go lie down and try and get some fluids, because I'm thinking possibly I got dehydrated or something. When I wake up, I see Josh stripping off the the sheets to our bed and then him freaking out... lovely. I go over- we have (after some googling and wikipedia help).....

BED BUGS!!!!!! Seriously, what century is this? There are bed bugs in our HOME?! In our mattress?


Josh is wigging out- I am wigging out- Evie is smiling and running around like a fun girl, what else do you expect?

So, Josh takes the mattress out of the garage. We quite frankly are not going to be sleeping on a bug infested bed for one moment. And man- are we itchy! The thought of bugs in your bed, that will make your skin crawl *blech*

Our new neighbor just happens to be an exterminator, so Josh goes over and asks him to check it out. The super nice guy that he is, comes right over and tells us what to do. Get rid of our mattress, essentially quarantine the room, and wash every stitch of linen in that room (including the entire contents of the closet) in hot water. He goes through the house, room by room, and checks for more bugs. He is sure that he is going to have to bomb our room, but hopefully after checking, thinks he will just have to spray the rest of the house.

So, we throw out our mattress on the side of the house and then are trying to decide what the heck are we going to do. It's going to take our neighbor a little bit of time before he can "bomb" the room. We need to shop for a new mattress.... and because we are changing sizes (from Cal King to King this time) we need new linens. Goodbye tax return, it was nice having you in our savings while you lasted for those 2 weeks!

It honestly felt like it started raining today and then by the end of the day I was dodging rocks that were raining from the sky! AAAAAAAAAH!! Can I just scream on here, as it is my blog after all?

During mattress shopping Evie spilled a ton of water on her pants, to which I had brought no extras with me so she had to be completely drenched the rest of the trip. When we returned home I hopped in the shower and forgot that I was doing a load of the "hot water bug exterminating wash" and by the time shampoo was in my hair, the hot water for the shower was gone, and I was blessed with a cold water rinse off and my legs, lets just say, are as hairy as they were when I got in there, because I was not about to shave them in pool water.

Tomorrow, we are hoping for a blissful existence (and time for a hot bath in which I will have a chance to shave!) Well, that is after I do the 10-15 loads at the laundrymat that is going to take me to do the entire contents of my closet...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feal so bad for you... We are so blessed to live in a time when bugs in our homes are not as common as they were in the past. yuck yuck itch itch... have a better day tommrow. love O'ma

Paige said...

That is the worst day... EVER! I am so sorry for you. It's one thing to happen when you feel fine but to happen when you are already so tired... that sucks. Sorry sister :( Wish I was there to help de-bug your house!

Laurie J. said...

I laughed and laughed and laughed... You're a great writer, and made this horrible day extremely comical to read! :-)
Love you!
mom

Jerolyn Bogear said...

I am so sorry. That does count as a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. Did Evie call Australia?

Joelle said...

Aahh, so sorry Brooke! You inspired me to go inspect my bedroom! What a dreadful thing to have to deal with. Hope today was much better!

the sniders said...

brooke...that is horrible. i'm sooo sorry! quite frankly, i can't believe your own mother was laughing at your terrible day. :D but you are a good writer. :D hope your day is much better tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I was so grossed out the whole time I read your blog I thought I needed to call an exterminator. I had never seen a bed bug before. I thought it was just an old wives tale or song or something. Nope, I don't think this is funny one bit. In fact, I now itch. Poor Brookie! (Josh too)

Barbie

Anonymous said...

Poor Brooke. So sorry about your rotten day. :(

Erica

Anonymous said...

Oh.My.Goodness.

and

I reacted exactly as, and concur with, your Mom.

sorry!

Liz