7.03.2008

Youth Camp!

Sorry I've been such a slacker on blogging! Our family was up to youth camp (no internet access) last week and this week we've been fighting colds and sort of under the weather, so I just haven't had that extra gusto to blog about our time at youth camp!

Josh and I had the priveledge to help out with our area denomination's summer youth camp. I do all of the registration for the counselors, staff, and students. This was Josh's first year that he was able to participate fully on executive staff, as he was able to take one of his two weeks of vacation last week so that he could commit to being there! (For those of you that don't know, Josh's schedule is on-call 24/7/365 and is really unpredictable, so for him to commit to be at any event is vitually impossible unless it is during his vacation time.)

We are a little bummed as on our way up to camp, our transmission started acting up in the van- and when we came home and took it to the mechanic, we were told it is going to have to be replaced :-( Boo! But we are thankful for our van and for the shop that is working on it that we were referred to and know one of the mechanics through church.

A lot of people asked me, "Are you taking Evie?". Actually, it never occured to me NOT to take her!! Of course my best friend is coming with me! Most of my job is completed by the first day of camp, so my goal of the week was to just hang out with my daughter, and we had a great time doing so! We got a lot of rest and relaxation time and really enjoyed being together.

Being at camp with a baby was quite the adventure, but worth every minute! If you know me, you know that I packed my whole van up with stuff to take up there to make our life easier- a stroller, a high chair, a walker, a huge bin of "extras" and necessities (bottles, diapers, wipes) and about 1000 outfits for her! I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Ergo carrier as I was able to snap her in and carrier her anywhere that I couldn't take the stroller. And when she got tired, I just put up her "sleeping hood" and she could conk out while I carried her around.

I learned a lot about my daughter during the week, but first and foremost I realized how ADAPTABLE this child is! I mean, her schedule and her life was completely different, and she was an angel! She stayed up 4 hours past her bedtime, skipped naps, was around loud music and a zillion and one kids, and she just went with the flow! She was so happy, no teething issues or crazy roseola sickness, and she was so fun to be with. We had a wonderful time watching all the games and just being mommy and baby together!

I had a LOT of help up at camp, as there is a great number of our family that goes up there! Evie's Daddy, O'pa, Papa, Grammy, Auntie Paige, Auntie Megan, "Uncle" Nate, and cousins: Matison, Logan, and Elijah were all so helpful with Evie! Plus all of the church family, that would help at a moments notice! Evie is growing up with such a great community of people around her, she is so blessed! Honestly, it makes me want to cry- I am so happy for my daughter and the family that is in her life. I ALWAYS wanted this for my kids, it's a dream come true.

As far as camp went, WOW!!!! This was a such a wonderful year! The students up there were GREAT kids, really an enthusiastic and kind bunch. We had 15 kids stand up and accept Christ into their lives for the first time and a number of students recommit their lives to the Lord. But friends, I would be remiss if I didn't tell you of the utter pain and dispair that a number of these kids are going through. So many of them are hurting and have raw, open wounds that only the Lord could heal. So if you think of them, pray for them now that they are back at home and the World is coming at them at full force. For so many of them, camp is a retreat from the chaos and torture that they live with every single day.


On the drive up, with Auntie Paige:
Photobucket


Hanging with her cousin, Elijah:
Photobucket

In the dining hall with Auntie Paige (I love this one because of how Evie is looking at Paige!)
Photobucket

In her stroller:
Photobucket

Evie loving on the Adam Cappa Band, who did an awesome job leading worship for the week:
Photobucket

And finally, MY FAVORITE one, Evie rocking out with the band!!
taken by (Ezra or Karyn?) Engle:
Photobucket

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you, Brooke, for the prayer concerned you expressed for kids...it never occured to me that they weren't all "flying high, from their mountain top experience", still, today.

I will pray, and count it a priviledge.

Liz

Anonymous said...

Such a writer you are. I love reading the blog and seeing the pics of the week. Cute, Cute, Cute!

Barbie

Chris said...

Brooke - it sounds like you had a wonderful week at camp!! I love the picture of Evie with the headphones on!!!

Anonymous said...

Great reporting and pictures. We do seem to forget about the trials some kids have when they get home, don't we? I trust the Lord will be with them in their walk with Him.

Grandma Dean

Becky said...

GREAT update on camp, Brooke. I'm so glad that Evie did well.

You are SO right about kids and their hurts...may our Jesus be the Healer of their pain.

Connie said...

Wonderful post. Love the pics!